A career in Architecture will give you first-hand access to designing sustainable and eye-catching structures. We detail how you navigate a career in Architecture in the UK below.

Skip to Sections:

Academic Routes

Technical Routes

Academic Routes

Jump to:

Further Education

Higher Education

What do I need?

While careers within Architecture are vast, each requires the knowledge of how to develop and design fixtures concerning land use and the built environment.

If your goal is to become an architect and not a different career within the architecture field, you will need to either gain an accredited arch degree, complete a higher degree apprenticeship. other career paths in architecture have different pathway options.

It is useful to have a working knowledge of CAD. High-level jobs will more than likely require a related postgraduate qualification. However, there are other roles in the field you can immerse in which we explain here.

Further Education

Jump to:


BTEC Diploma

Access to Higher Education

Further Education is considered Level 3 education in the UK (England, Northern Ireland, and Wales). The most common further education route is A-Levels, but it is not the only option. There are coursework based courses like BTEC. To pursue a Bachelors degree (Level 4) or any other undergraduate qualification, you must complete this level of education first.


A-Levels are exam based courses taken post-secondary education. Usually, people take from 3 A-Level subjects as most university courses require at least 3. Architecture accepts a range of educational backgrounds at this level but you will need a level of artistic ability in relation to technology.

If you have decided what career you would pursue within Architecture (e.g. CAD technician, Architectural technologist) you can pick other A Levels subjects that are similar to it. It is suggested that you take an A-Level in Art/Design. Nonetheless, the A-Level subjects you choose can be varied. For university, you are generally required to submit a creative portfolio alongside your application, which you will gain from doing a Design or Art related A-Level. You can also do a BTEC in Art which is more hands-on, while taking other A-Levels. We explain more about this here >>.

Do note that A-Levels are not practical. Which means if you do not intend on pursuing further study, you should be building experience in your field while studying. Read more about Internships here.

What qualifications do I need for A-Levels?

A-level courses will usually require at least 5 IGCSEs (A*-C)/CSECs (Grades 1-3). Mathematics and English Language passes are mandatory to possess. It is best to check the specific requirements of the university or college you intend to go to as the entry requirements may differ.

To find A-Level courses search online or Contact us for help.

BTEC Diploma

The process of obtaining these qualifications are more practical in comparison to the more theory-based A-Level. You are assessed solely with coursework.

These qualifications are available at different levels from Levels 1-3. At Level 3, the diploma can be equivalent to up to three (3) A-Levels. BTECs can be taken alongside other qualifications (such as an A-Level) and can permit entry to university.

For Architecture, universities are typically interested in students who have Creative and Technological knowledge. Therefore a BTEC in Art & Design or Computer Science is a great way to go. For university, you are generally required to submit a creative portfolio alongside your application, which you will gain from doing a Design or Art related A-Level.

What qualifications do I need for BTEC?

Depending on the BTEC diploma you’re pursuing; Level 3 BTEC diplomas will usually require at least 5 IGCSEs (A*-C)/CSECs (Grades 1-3). Mathematics and English Language passes are mandatory to possess as well. It is best to check the specific requirements of the university you intend to go to as the entry requirements may differ.

To find BTEC courses search online or Contact Us for assistance.

But what if I’m over 18 and I have no Level 3 qualifications? We got you below.

Access to Higher Education

Access to Higher Education aka Access to HE is tailored for students aged 19+ who intend to apply for an undergraduate course. These courses take one year, performing as a fast track to higher education.

Universities will typically be looking for students with a creative-based background. Access to Higher Education courses in Business, Social Science etc. are among good options for subjects related to Architecture.

What qualifications do I need for Access to HE?

Access to HE diplomas will usually require at least 5 IGCSEs (A*-C)/CSECs (Grades 1-3). Mathematics and English Language passes are customarily mandatory to possess as well. It is best to check the specific requirements of the school you intend to go to as the entry requirements may differ.

To find Access to Higher Education courses search online or Contact Us for assistance.

To see more posts like these subscribe for monthly updates:

Success! You're on the list.

Higher Education

Jump to:

Foundation Degrees

Undergraduate Degrees

Postgraduate Degrees

All UK degrees in Architecture need to be certified by the  Royal Institute of British Architects a (RIBA) or the Architects Registration Board (ARB).

Foundation Degrees & Foundation Years

Foundation courses can be taken if your results/tariff points accumulated in a Level 3 qualification were not high enough to allow entry to a standard three-year Bachelors course.

There are two foundation options:

  • Foundation Degree – a standalone qualification (1-2 years) equivalent to one or two years of a Bachelors degree. A top-up degree can be taken afterwards to get the full Bachelors degree.
  • Foundation Year – this is the first year of a four year degree consisting of = 1 foundation year + 3 years of a standard Bachelors degree. At the end of the four-year course, you will receive the same qualification as a three-year Bachelors degree student.

For example, Liverpool John Moores University offers BA Architecture including a Foundation Year, which lasts for four years. Taking the foundation version of the course would require at least 72 tariff points while the standard three-year degree route would require at least 128 tariff points.

After you complete the Foundation degree qualification (instead of an integrated Foundation Year) you can complete a top-up which takes one year to achieve the full Bachelor’s degree.

What qualifications do I need?

It often varies per university and course with the usual requirement being at least 60 tariff points. Check the entry requirements per course on UCAS.

To find Foundation courses, enter your area of study and search Foundation degrees here. In the filters select Foundation to only view Foundation courses.

Undergraduate Degrees

All applications to undergraduate courses are accessible via UCAS. Undergraduate courses can come in the form of foundation degrees, HND or Bachelors level. 

Architecture is on offer as a degree in the UK. If you are still wavering about this career path, remember Architecture consists of many fields, therefore you do not have to do a traditional Architecture degree.

If you are unsure which sector you would like to get into; you may benefit from doing a standard Architecture degree. For more varied choices, Combined/Joint Honours courses or courses with a variety mix of subjects may be better suited to you.

Examples include BA Landscape Architecture, BA Interior Architecture and Venue Design, BA Urban Design, BSc Architecture Technology, BEng Architectural Environment Engineering etc. .

Searching Architecture courses on UCAS throws a wealthy bunch of universities for you to choose from.

How do I choose which degree?

With the copious choices given, it may make it difficult to decipher which is best for you.

To start narrowing it down, we suggest you first look at the entry requirements to the course and assess your existing or prospective exam/coursework results.

Next, have a look at the modules done by the university and assess if those are relevant to your career if you’ve already chosen. Also view the teaching quality at the university.

Finally, use comparative websites like Discover Uni or the Complete University Guide to compare course satisfaction and other statistics to make informed decisions.

If you have sports or other extracurricular interests you can research universities which offer these to keep your hobbies alive.

Tip: Some university courses offer an integrated placement year (otherwise known as a sandwich) where you get the option to work in your industry. This provides you with at least one year of experience in your field before graduation.

To view all higher education options and courses, enter your area of study and search courses here.

What qualifications do I need?

It varies per university but largely universities require at least 112 tariff points. Grades in A-Level tend to be at least BBC-AAA for Architecture related courses. BTEC diploma grades required tend to be at least DMM. Check the entry requirements per course on UCAS. Some courses have foundation entry options which allow you to gain the Foundation qualification and continue the course with lower entry requirements.

Postgraduate Degree

If you already have an undergraduate degree and would like to make a career swap, or you would like to pursue further education we’ve got options for you.

To progress in your career specialisation is key and a good method of doing this is through postgraduate study. Architecture is also offered at Postgraduate level so that can be your avenue to specialisation.

If you have never done an Architecture related degree, volunteering or any means to generate experience while pursuing the postgraduate qualification would be essential.

Similar to applying for an undergraduate degree, click here to view options and courses, enter your area of study and search courses. Filter options to Postgraduate. (Some postgraduate courses may not be listed on UCAS so do independent searches online).

Technical Routes

Possible entry-level job routes into the Architecture sector without a degree can be found as a construction worker, assistant draftsman and more.

Familiarise yourself with different aspects of Architecture around the world to build your knowledge. Building relationships with professionals in the industry can build your network and knowledge base and this can be done through volunteering and internships.

The following are technical developments to improve your chances within a career.


On an apprenticeship, you’re employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week either at a college or training centre. By the end of your apprenticeship, you’ll hopefully have gained the skills and knowledge needed to either succeed in your chosen career or progress onto the next apprenticeship level. – Prospects

To find an apprenticeship through Gov.uk in the UK click here >>


Completing an internship can help you to gain crucial experience. These can be found via LinkedIn, and/or simply via Google.

You can source internships directly by researching engineering, architecture, construction or project management companies online.

If you discover that internships are not being advertised, you can still apply but you will need to pitch to the Hiring Manager and convince them on why you should be offered an internship position at their company. If you would like some advice on doing that Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Have a browse of some internships in the UK here >>


Try not to decline unpaid opportunities especially if you have no experience, if you can afford it. Eventually, you may be offered a position as a paid employee. Remember, you are building an invaluable network and you gain a head start in your field due to on-the-job learning.

Enquire at various engineering, architecture, construction or project planning companies to seek work shadowing or voluntary work and gain experience.

For volunteering opportunities in the UK click here >>

Independent Research

Use online resources to build knowledge in your field. Keep abreast with the news, and listen to podcasts or books about your field.

YouTube is your best friend. There are many videos available teaching you more about Architecture. Find your niche and the information will be easier to research.

To find out what immigration hurdles you must pass to pursue education in the UK click here. For financial 411s click here.

Unsure about what Architecture is? Read our explanatory post here.

Need help applying for university in the UK? Click here >>
Posted by:Nandina Hislop

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s